The Root Chakra, also called Muladhara chakra is the first chakra in the human body located at the base of the spine. “Mula” means “root”, “Adhara” means “support” or “base”. It is the foundation of all the chakras. The kundalini energy is stored in the root chakra.
The root chakra is about survival, a sense of belonging, stability, and security. As the tree has its roots under the ground, the human root is the root chakra.
The basic physical necessities such as water, food, and shelter, as well as some emotional need of feeling safe, grounded and connected.
The color of this chakra is red. Its natural element is the earth. It is linked to the ability to feel firmly rooted in life.
Signs of Blocked Root Chakra
When the root chakra is imbalanced, that is, when it is underactive or overactive, you may feel some imbalance in your physical health. Some of the issues such as:
- Weight gain/weight loss
- Pain in the pelvis area
- lower back issues
- Problems in the excretion process
You may start gaining or losing weight, you may want to eat all the time or eat very little. And due to this, you may have constipation, going to the toilet multiple times a day.
Lower back issues start when you sit for long hours. Less physical activity weakens the root chakra.
When this chakra is imbalanced, you may feel some imbalance in your mental health. Some of the issues such as:
- Concentration issues
- Increased anxiety, stress depression
- Exhaustion and low energy
- Lazy, low/less enthusiasm
- Feeling drowsy, sitting in one place all the time
- Eating disorder
If you have these problems, you may be having an imbalanced root chakra. Not sticking to one thing at a time and troubles in concentrating can happen.
Root Chakra Healing:
Our stomach and mind are interrelated. If you have digestion issues such as constipation, irregular bowels, acidity, and bloating, you will feel irritated, lazy, drowsy, and will have low enthusiasm. (1)
Nowadays, people can not recognize whether they really have a mental issue or are having problems related to the stomach by which they are feeling depressed or angry.
Junk food and packaged food are the major causes of digestion issues in today’s world. Eating at irregular intervals and eating too much also cause digestion problems.
Soft drinks, soda, too much alcohol, and other such habits affect the body by which the root chakra becomes imbalanced. (2)
Sitting in one place, working, or playing video games makes us lazy. This results in low physical activity. The root chakra is the basis of physicality. Hence if you do not move, exercise, or go out in nature, the root chakra is going to be imbalanced.
Anxiety, stress, and depression are also caused due to imbalanced root chakra. When one is not content in their mind and not feeling loved and cared for causes sadness, anxiety, and depression.
Social life is a major cause of mental issues which causes an imbalance in the root chakra. One needs to understand that, they should be self-contented which means to be involved in self-development which includes working, exercising, yoga, taking care of the body. (3)
And at the same time serve others. Help the poor and old people. Talk to your family and friends passionately asking about their health, needs, and problems. Try solving their problems.
By doing so, you and the people you take care of will feel good, making your relationships strong in the family and in society. In turn, they will do the same thing. But never expect anything, just focus on giving.
You can try some things listed here:
1. Go out in nature: Spend time in nature. Walk barefoot on the grass, swim, play in the water, do yoga outdoors. Go on a hike, stay in the natural resorts, breath the fresh air.
2. Drink clean water: Drinking clean water is the most important measure because water removes the toxins out of the body. If the water that you consume is polluted, it will just add more toxins. Drink water stored in metal or glass containers.
3. Consume healthy food: Junk foods and packaged foods are unhealthy because they contain preservatives and too much oil which brings down your metabolism. Eating clean foods rich in nutrients will heal your body and keep it healthy resulting in a balanced strong root chakra.
4. Physical activity: It is very much important to move, exercise, work out, or play a sport to be fit and healthy. The root chakra gets balanced when your physical body becomes fit.
5. Feeling positive emotions: Feeling good, loved, and cared heals this chakra. You need not be loved and cared for by others, but you can do it yourself. Take care of your body, accept yourself. Follow the above-mentioned tips such as exercising, going out for a walk, swimming, playing, etc.
Say these affirmations “I belong here, I am home, I am safe and secure, I trust myself”. These positive affirmations make you feel good and heal the root chakra.
Yoga Poses To Balance The Root Chakra
Warrior 2 (Virabhadrasana II)
The warrior 2 pose is a grounding pose that helps us to bring strength and stability. This pose strengthens the quads, shoulders, glutes, and core. It also helps in increasing endurance when performed for long periods.
Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana)
The standing forward fold opens up the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. It relaxes the mind and brings peace and calmness. This poss also stimulates the root chakra and helps in healing it.
Garland Pose (Malasana)
The garland pose opens up the hips, strengthening the lower back, ankles, and calves. It opens ups the area where the root chakra is located. As the chakra is closer to the earth, it is more receptive to the energy of the earth which helps in healing it.