Health Benefits Of Eating Onions
The health benefits of onions are known worldwide. Onions belong to the genus Allium and are also related to garlic, shallots, and leeks. People consume roughly 20 pounds annually, eating them raw, cooked, or pickled. Onions vary in size, shape, color, and taste. The most common types of onions are red, yellow, and white onions. The onions’ taste can range from sweet and juicy to sharp, spicy, or pungent, depending on the season.
There are many health benefits of onions which are known for ages.
1) Cancer prevention
Researchers have found that allium vegetables are related to cancer, especially stomach and colorectal cancers. One cup of chopped onions provides almost 13% of an adult’s recommended daily vitamin C intake. As an antioxidant, vitamin C helps counter the formation of free radical compounds linked to cancer.
Increased consumption of allium vegetables shows a reduced risk of cancer, especially cancers of the stomach and gastrointestinal tract. Onions are one of the richest food sources of a nutrient called quercetin. Quercetin is known to prohibit the activity and creation of cancer-causing elements. A diet that is rich in quercetin results in a lower risk of developing lung cancer. (1)
2) Lower risk of heart disease
Organic sulfur compounds are present in onions. These compounds help reduce the level of cholesterol in the body and may also help break down blood clots. Organic sulfur compounds make onions have a sharp, strong smell and taste. This lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke. Onions should be eaten raw rather than cooked to get the most sulfur compounds. (2)
There are many more health benefits of eating onions on a daily basis. It reduces the blood spike, which is especially useful if you are a sports person. It is a stimulant that encourages the body to be active and function well.
Benefits of Onion Juice for Hair
Everybody nowadays has different hair issues such as hair fall, hair thinning, greying of hair, dandruff, and other problems. You should have a proper haircare regime if you want healthy hair and scalp.
Our hair gets damaged as we go out in polluted areas, especially in cities and towns. We must protect our hair from pollution and keep our scalps safe from chemicals. A haircare routine is something that looks great at first, but being consistent is nearly a tough job to do.
One needs to know some key things about hair before getting started with the haircare regime. The hair is made up of protein, keratin, and sulphur, making it stronger and firmly rooted.
If your body lacks nutrients such as protein, vitamins, calcium, omega-3 fatty acids, and iron, hair fall, dandruff, and some other hair problems may arise. And many times, solutions based on oils, shampoos, or conditioners may not solve your problem. Simple home remedies like onion juice can be effective.
Here, homemade remedies come into action. Onion juice is an effective remedy for hair problems. Onions have a strong and pungent smell, but they do a great job when it comes to repairing hair and keeping them strong and healthy.
Onion juice has been one of the best remedies for hair loss and other hair problems for a very long time. Onion has many anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help the body to heal and perform better. (3)
These are some health benefits of onion juice for hair:
- Onion juice is loaded with antioxidants that help prevent premature hair greying.
- Onion juice is rich in sulphur which prevents thinning and breakage of hair. Sulphur is also needed for the regrowth of hair follicles.
- The antibacterial and antifungal properties of onion can help to prevent scalp infection and dandruff.
- Onion helps to nourish the hair and prevent hair fall.
- Onion juice massage helps healthy growth.
Benefits of Onion Oil for Hair
Onions are rich in nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin B9 (folate), vitamin B6, potassium, and numerous other compounds. Nowadays, onion hair oils have made a lot of difference and are widely available in the market.
Health benefits of onion hair oil:
- Delays premature greying of hair.
- Prevents hair thinning and breakage.
- Optimizes hair regrowth.
- Fights against bacterial infections.
- Improves the strength of hair.
- Enhances hair texture.
The routine you must be following to keep your hair and scalp healthy is as follows:
- Oil your hair with any suitable hair oil (coconut, almond, or onion hair oil).
- Keep it overnight or for 2 to 3 hours.
- Wash your hair with a natural ayurvedic or herbal shampoo that is sulfate and paraben free.
- Always ensure that you do not wash your hair with hot water because it dries off the scalp and hair and creates damage.
- Wash it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat if you find your scalp to be a little oily.
- Apply an excellent natural hair conditioner (onion, coconut, milk, or keratin) to the hair strands.
- Keep in mind not to apply the conditioner on the scalp.
- Keep the conditioner on for 2 minutes and wash it off.
Follow this routine 2 to 3 times per week. If you are a sports person, make sure you wash your hair with just water after the play session to remove the dirt and sweat from the hair and scalp.
The length of hair may also cause problems if you already have hair fall issues. Shorten the length of your hair, follow the routine mentioned above, and see the results. You can also add supplements for omega-3 fatty acids and biotin. You can also check for your iron content in the body and take supplements for it.